People have asked lately about what is new at Dirt Hugger. Here goes (plus photos below):
New Site – Dallesport – We are 71% (as far as the budget goes) with construction. While good, it leaves a very big 29% remaining. Still left on the plate are some important facility features: 1) Power to all areas 2) Aeration in the ponds (this is very important for odor reduction) 3) Aeration pad (also extremely important for odor reduction). 4) Fresh-potable water (something we never had at the old site) 5) A shop for fixing equipment… and the list goes on….. So, while we are operating we don’t have all of our enhanced odor reduction technology in place and we are very appreciative of all of our neighbors’ patience while we finish them up this spring.
What we have done in the past few months has been to chip away daily at getting the site to first world standards and full functionality. Such as: 1) Bring power to the site (Thank you Klickitat County and Klickitat PUD!) 2) Drilling a well (thank you Klickitat County and M&K Drilling) – although we still haven’t connected the well, it’s nice to know we’ve hit water 3) Installed irrigation for our landscaped berms 4) Paved the entrance and the list goes on….
Old site – The Dalles – Our old site is nearly wrapped up. It is quite sad to see the place where a group of people toiled for four years disappear. We fondly remember our old site and all of the painful lessons learned there. We have 2.5 acres of compost left at the old site have been screening it daily for the past two months. Many of our amazing customers agreed to take compost early in order to prevent double hauling compost. Thank you so much to our retailers and customers. If you would like an early delivery of compost please get in touch. We’d be happy to send you a load as we will be clearing out all compost from the old site in the next few weeks. Huge thanks to Crestline Construction and Port of The Dalles for accommodating us during the transition.
New faces/team members. We are happy to have added to the Dirt Hugger roster. Will Hartman has joined the team to help us power through the last phase of construction. Will has years of experience in carpentry and construction and has already made progress on the new site. Other additions are the immensely time-saving golf cart and the soon to be used street sweeper.
A sad loss has beset Dirt Hugger, the engine on our beloved 1981 VW pickup truck bit the dust at the tender age of 200K miles. Not to worry, we have imported a new/used engine from Germany and hope to have it back on the road in a jiffy.
Curbside Program – We have received lots of phone calls lately with regards to the commercial food scraps collection program. There was a minor hiccup due to truck licensing (intrastate vs interstate is a big deal in CDL driving) during our transition to Washington, however, the program is going full force and everyone’s cans should be collected as per usual. During the hiccup period, there was also a tightening of contamination enforcement on cans which led many customers to believe that the program was not continuing. What had happened is that cans were viewed as contaminated and not picked up – not that the program was cancelled. We apologize for the lack of communication around these issues.
Contamination has been a problem lately, and we had spoken with the hauler about increased contamination. As a reminder our program is food scraps only (plus coffee filters). Compostable plastics (cups, cutlery, straws, take out containers, etc…) are not allowed. They are not allowed for many reasons, namely: they are not acceptable for organic compost production (and we are and OMRI listed compost supplier), many of them do not break down in a 90 day composting process, they are impossible to identify vs a non-compostable product, and lastly they don’t actually add anything to compost value or quality.
On this note: we will have the first organics working group meeting with City of Hood River this week. This group is working towards designing a hopeful curbside compost program for Hood River. We can’t believe it’s taken almost five years, but we are excited for the potential of a program (that way we won’t have to haul our own compost to work every week).
Winter-Spring- spring is around the corner. If you have extra space for compost- now is a good time to get it (especially since we need to move it off our old site). Aging compost on the land where it will be farmed/gardened has shown economic benefits in some trials we have completed. Plus, it’s one less thing to do in the spring.
We can’t thank you all enough for the tremendous support of this business. So many people and companies have helped us along the way that there is no way we could repay all the kind deeds. This is truly a community backed venture and we appreciate the help.